29950 Paint Mine Rd
29950 Paint Mine Rd
Calhan, CO, 80808
"The Paint Mines, dominated by clays deposited more than 55 million years ago, and the surrounding acreage have yielded evidence of human life dating as far back as 9,000 years. American Indian tribes used this land as a favorite hunting ground where badland breaks and gullies may have served as hunting overlooks and entrapment locations."
"The colorful clays were used by American Indians for making pottery and ceremonial paint, and in the early 1900s, the clay was mined to make bricks. During the 1880s, settlers began to homestead this land. Grazing and agricultural use by long-time residents, the Freeman family and others, played an important role in the history of the Paint Mines."
* Distance: ~4 miles (lots of options for more or less distance)
* Elevation Profile: starts at 6600 ft; gains 400 ft
* Parking: ample parking at the Green Trailhead, Calhan, CO
* Facilities: restrooms at the trailhead
* Trail: clean, well-marked, dirt trail; lots of even ground with some fun, light scrambling among the colorful hoodoos - no climbing on the hoodoos allowed - [What’s a hoodoo?](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodoo_(geology))
* No pets, bikes, and sorry, you have to leave the ponies at home too - this is a protected historical area
* Entry Fees: no entry fee
From the Green Trail Parking Lot, we will work our way counter-clockwise so we can tour the painted rocks before heading along the rest of the trail with views of Pikes Peak back toward the parking lot. There are plenty of trail spurs for exploration along the first part of the hike.
[https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/afternoon-hike-at-paint-mines-trail-f42c7f9?p=-1&sh=d8bztw](https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/afternoon-hike-at-paint-mines-trail-f42c7f9?p=-1&sh=d8bztw) - These are the tracks from my scouting trip.
We'll meet at the Green Trailhead near Calhoun, CO - [Directions](https://tinyurl.com/475rrnwp)
**Tips / Reminders**
* Carry and drink plenty of water
* Sunscreen advised - there is very little shade on this hike
* A sun hat and supportive footwear are also advisable.
* We may hike in some rain. Be prepared.
* It may be very hot. Be prepared.
SAFETY FIRST… I will have a small first aid kit for owies and such. Hike at your own risk.
When I scouted the area I downloaded the directions to the trailhead and the GPS data for the hike. This area is rural and has cell coverage dead spots.